Accommodate all your guests easily with these unique headboard bolsters. Slide the bolsters together for a king arrangement, or apart for twin beds. Directions include how to sew the bolsters and how to turn two twin beds into a comfortable king.
step 3 - Bolster Top Piece
Cut out the 4 top pieces, 2 for each bolster. Each should measure 37.25x 2.75”.
step 5 - Lay another top piece over all the tabs, lining up the edges, with the wrong side of the fabric facing you. Sew across the top through all thicknesses.
step 7 - Bolster Bottom Piece
Cut out the four bottom pieces, 2 for each bolster. Each should measure 40.25x 2.75”.
step 12 - Attaching Front and Back Pieces
You now have a 4 sided frame with tabs attached to the top and a zipper along the bottom. Cut out 4 pieces, 2 for each bolster, each measuring 37.25” x 31.25”. These will be the fronts and backs.
step 13 - With right sides together, match up the corners of a front piece to the corners of the frame. Match and pin the edges together, then sew. Be sure the fold in the side piece stays pinned together as you sew. Finish the bolster by attaching the back piece in the same way. After sewing, turn the bolster cover right side out and stuff it with the foam pad.
step 14 - Tips And Set Up
• For a king bed arrangement, push twin beds together and top the mattresses with a layer of foam before putting on a king size mattress pad. The foam makes it nearly impossible to detect where the two mattresses meet.
• Two twin beds pushed together are slightly shorter than most kings. I adjusted the length of the mattress pad and bottom sheet to fit.
• The bolster rests behind the bed, not above it. Position it about 6 inches below the top of the mattress. Pushing the bed up against the bolster helps to keep it from shifting around over time.
• The minimum length curtain rod for this project is eight feet.
• Since the tabs are positioned in the center of the three inch thick bolster, it requires that the rod stick out 1.5” from the wall. This allows the tabs and bolster to hang straight down from the rod, and the bolster rests flush against the wall.
• The hardware that came with the rod didn’t allow the rod to hang 1.5” away from the wall. I attached a 1.5” thick (approx.) decorative wood square to the wall. I painted it the same color as the wall, then attached the hardware to the wood.
Home Fabric Store
- 3.5 yards 58” fabric
- 8 ft. adjustable rod & brackets
- two 36”x30”x3” foam cushions
- two 38” zippers
Fabric or Craft Store
- sewing machine
- yard stick